Now in its sixth year, the Journalism Awards target business journalists from Anglophone and Francophone countries in Africa and aims to recognize and acknowledge the good work of media on the continent.
Sponsored by Continental Reinsurance, the Pan-African Re/Insurance Journalism Awards recognise the outstanding work of journalists on re/insurance from across the continent. Successful candidates have to demonstrate how their articles have raised awareness and understanding of the re/insurance sector in Africa.
The awards are an extension of Continental Reinsurance’s continued commitment to the advancement of excellence in the industry. The Pan-African Re/Insurance Awards were launched in April 2015.
Continental Reinsurance has a long tradition of donations towards various charities. We actively seek out collaboration in the area of social responsibility. This is in line with our mission strategy in the locations in which we operate.
We were proud to lend our financial support to the following programmes and initiatives:
- SOS Children’s Village, Nigeria
- Wesley Schools for Hearing Impaired Children, Lagos
- Pacelli School for the Blind & Partially Sighted Children, NLagos
- Onikan Health Centre, Lagos
- National Handicap Carers Association of Nigeria (NAHCAN), Lagos
- Little Saints Orphanage, Lagos
- Hearts of Gold Children Hospice, Lagos
- Lagos State Rehabilitation Centre, Ikorodu
- Star Children Development Initiative, Ibadan
- Special Persons Association of Nigeria
- Street Project Foundation, Nigeria
- Ajofa Special Education Foundation for the Deaf, Nigeria
- Centre Des Handicapes Moteurs Don Orione, Côte d’Ivoire
- Njindom Health Centre, Cameroon
- Rotary Club, Kenya
- Micro Insurance Campaign, Kenya
We shall continue to tailor our CSR to meet the needs of local communities in line with our mission and values.
We are proud to note that we were the first African reinsurance company (outside South Africa) to become a signatory to the UN’s Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI).
Our pledge to the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), demonstrate our commitment to accountability, and transparency in managing environmental, social and governance issues in our business.
There were multiple motives for the decision to become a signatory:
1. Value driven – caring about the cause
2. Stakeholder driven – responding to interests and expectations
3. Strategic – helping with business objectives
Our signatory status to PSI is in keeping with our value statements. We envision sustainability as one of the core purposes of our brand promise and thus continue to proactively integrate environmental, social and governance concerns into our mission:
- Commitment to our core values
- Continuously evaluating business practices
- Creating long-term value
- Advocacy across the continent for a greater appreciation of the role of risk management considerations by the African insurance sector
Corporate Social Investment is not only about financial investments but a way of taking an active role in the advancement and development of others. Training is a cornerstone of our CSI programme
At Continental Reinsurance, we deploy enormous resources into the development of our clients through our various technical trainings in the form of seminars and workshops. These carefully planned training programmes are put together following critical analyses of knowledge gaps among our clients.
Over the years, we have organised training programmes which cut across different technical topics such as engineering and property insurance, life assurance, oil and gas insurance, bonds and guarantees and agriculture insurance. These programmes were all well-attended by practitioners in the different markets where they were held.
Each year we roll out a client development programme to aid advance re/insurance skills across the continent.