We insure primary insurers as a way of spreading risk. In essence, cushioning the effects of losses for a primary insurer as they transfer to us – the reinsurer – the part of the risk which exceeds their underwriting limit, and which would unduly affect the balance of their retained portfolios.
- Reducing exposure to liquidity problems resulting from a major loss
- More homogenous portfolios as risks with high sums insured can be reinsured
- Underwriting capacity is strengthened as the reinsured assumes a share of the risks
- Increased equity capital as reinsurance frees this risk-bound capital
- Improving the effectiveness of primary insurers’ operations by providing services such as assessing special risks, consultation in loss prevention, loss adjustment support, performing actuarial work & training client’s personnel